Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Back to School Mayhem

Yesterday everyone went back to school - well, except me. The kids and Leo officially began new school careers in the JO Combs district, so far from my homeland of Tempe and our life in Ahwatukee that it take 40 minutes to get there. Moving is being seriously considered but will not take place for at least another year.

Alicia jumped off the car and scurried off to see her new teacher. A couple of photos with the intrepid Mrs. Richardson and she was ready for Mom, Dad and big brother to leave already.

Next it was off to Combs Middle School for Leo and Mitch. Most days Leo will be driving around the district visiting elementary schools as well as the middle school. He will live the life of a nomad teacher until the new high school is open next fall.

Mitch played it cool as most 8th graders are want to do on the first day of classes. His dad did his best to "embarrass him" as every opportunity presented itself. As un-cool as it is to have your dad hangin' around the school where you go, I think Mitch is just as happy that Dad is so close.

I spent the day out in the Queen Creek area, thrilled that the brand new Target seems to be relatively empty. Bargains galor were to be found in a store that is not picked over ten minutes after the doors open as it is close to home. I had thirty minutes of blissful, uninterrupted shopping time before heading off for a meeting at the Polytechnic campus. After a meeting and lunch, I hunkered down in a conference room to answer email and then the trip around Queen Creek for pick up began.

All things considered, it was a successful day. The kids learned about new schools and new classmates; Leo learned about the faculty at the middle school and I learned that pork chops, even when frozen at the start of the day, will dry out and almost burn in a crock pot on high after nearly 11 hours. Keep those babies on low next time and all will be perfection.

The week continues and we'll all be getting used to the new routine. I leave on Friday for a few days back east so the family will be "on their own" for a while. I have tremendous confidence. They'll do great.

No comments: