Travel is in my not too distance future. My dear friend, Raquel, is graduating from Antioch College with her PhD! The first of my childhood friends to reach this milestone. Not only am I impressed because I have done little more than contemplate such a goal, but the achievement of this degree is, still, relatively unattainable for most people. The financial considerations are enormous when pursuing a terminal degree, but the financial gains can be just as considerable. See Classroomtools.com for a list of facts related to educational level. It is interesting to say the least.
So what is my point again - Right! I'm going to Ohio to see Raquel graduate. As a graduation specialist it's always intriguing to see how other schools celebrate their students. More importantly than that, I get to see Raquel participate in the ritual of investiture - that moment when a chosen faculty member places the hood on the graduate. There is real significance in this moment. It represents the student becoming a steward of her discipline.
Rock will be wearing beautiful new regalia, and the second leg or my trip will be to the plant where regalia is manufactured. After that, it's back to the office with, I hope, plenty of new ideas and some great memories.
No comments:
Post a Comment